Pa. Legislature passes $28 billion budget bill
HARRISBURG, Pa. - June 30, 2010 -- A belt-tightening $28 billion budget bill is on its way to Gov. Ed Rendell's desk following passage by the state House.
The 117-to-84 vote on the appropriations bill in the waning hours of the fiscal year Wednesday means the state is poised to enact the first on-time budget of Rendell's eight years in office.
The bill passed the state Senate earlier by a vote of 37 to 13.
The deal boosts spending over 2009-10 by less than 1 percent.
It wasn't immediately known how soon the legislation would be signed by the Democratic governor.
pennsylvania, gov. ed rendell, inside politics
- Screaming man attacks police station, cars
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today 42 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak 8 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of smashed police car, station...
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- Video: Would-be firebomber sets self on fire