Murphy, Fitzpatrick battle for Pa. 8th District
BRISTOL, Pa. - September 24, 2010 (WPVI) -- Election Day is just over a month away and it's a dogfight in Pennsylvania's 8th Congressional District.
The incumbent has a bigger war chest, but also a bigger problem - Rep. Patrick Murphy, a Democrat, is a strong Obama supporter, and that could cost him the job.
About two years ago, Murphy took a political risk as the first federal office holder to endorse Barack Obama's presidential candidacy.
It was a move that ended up paying big dividends for Murphy at first, but President Obama's dip in popularity seems to be taking a lot of Democrats along for the ride.
While that seems to include Murphy, the two term lawmaker says Election Day is still more than five weeks away.
"Those are the same folks who had me down nine points with days to go in the last election," Murphy said. "I'm working hard every day to bring jobs to Bucks County and Northeast Philadelphia."
Still, the most recent 6ABC-Franklin and Marshall College Poll has Murphy behind 46-36 percent among registered voters.
And it's even worse news for Murphy among likely voters who have the challenger leading 49-35 percent.
That challenger is Republican Mike Fitzpatrick, the very man Murphy defeated to first win the 8th District seat four years ago.
Fitzpatrick is not shy about tying Murphy to President Obama, just like Murphy tied Fitzpatrick to President Bush back in 2006.
"People are still studying the issues and say 'Okay, Congressman Murphy, you're with Nancy Pelosi 90 percent of the time and promised support of President Obama. Those policies are not working so give someone else a chance," Fitzpatrick said.
Fitzpatrick is also getting help from the National Republican Congressional Committee which is funding an anti-Murphy attack ad.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, bucks county, inside politics, walter perez
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator 48 min ago
- Snow will turn the ground white again!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle 13 min ago
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car 13 min ago
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession 13 min ago
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 1 wounded in Lakewood drive-by shooting
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight...
48 min ago
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by...
13 min ago