NJ voters angry, frustrated on election day
BAYVILLE, N.J. -- As New Jersey voters headed to the polls Tuesday, many were in the kind of sour mood that Lou Orsini was experiencing.
The Camden County retiree was so disillusioned with Democrats and Republicans alike that he voted for tea party candidates "to shove it down their throats."
"They're ruining this country, the two political parties," said Orsini, a retired maintenance worker and Vietnam veteran from Blackwood. "This country needs more than two parties, and they can't be rich parties."
"The person with the most money wins," he said. "How can a poor person who really wants to do something good for his country run? They can't."
Sentiments like that were being heard around New Jersey, where 13 House seats were being decided, but only three were considered truly competitive.
"I've never felt as much despair as I do right now," said John Powers, a Bayville retiree who voted Republican out of animus toward President Barack Obama and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. "I think we are at the lowest point in our country we have ever been at.
"When 62 percent of the public said they didn't want the health care law, Pelosi said `I don't care,"' Powers said. "I think we're farther apart now as a country than we've ever been."
Powers voted in New Jersey's 3rd District, where the marquee race was between freshman Democrat John Adler and Republican Jon Runyan, the former Philadelphia Eagles player.
Other competitive races in the state were in the 6th District, where veteran Democrat Frank Pallone was facing a challenge from tea party candidate Anna Little.
Investor Scott Sipprelle was trying to unseat Democrat Rush Holt in central Jersey's 12th District.
Statewide, a constitutional amendment asks voters to prohibit state officials from diverting state pension and unemployment funds for other purposes.
State officials say just over 111,000 out of more than 160,000 mail-in ballots issued have been returned.
More than 200 lawyers are ready to resolve voting problems.
Polls close at 8 p.m.
new jersey, election, inside politics
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Phila. Police search for suspect in Rite Aid robbery
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police