After win, Runyan thanks voters at NJ diner
MEDFORD, N.J. - November 3, 2010 (WPVI) -- Operating on fewer than three hours of sleep, Republican congressman-elect Jon Runyan was out shaking hands on Wednesday morning at the Medport Diner in Medford after his big win over Democrat John Adler in New Jersey's 3rd district.
Runyan said he wanted to "just thank them and be around them, know that I appreciate it and I'm honored, truly honored, to be their representative. It's an awesome day."
At least one diner knows what she wants from the former Philadelphia Eagle.
"Hopefully he doesn't owe his soul to the company store or somebody that got him elected and he'll have the guts to make the changes that need to be made," said Barbara Fritz of Medford Lakes.
Best known as being an offensive lineman for the Eagles, the 36 year old Mt. Laurel resident quit football to run for Congress.
He'll be learning a whole new playbook in Washington and joked about this stature Tuesday night after learning he had been elected.
"I probably will be the largest human being in the Hill. We're going to take that largeness and actually shrink the size of government," Runyan said.
Even Runyan's former coach, Andy Reid, weighed in on his win during a Wednesday news conference.
"I'm a big Jon Runyan fan. I know you're getting honesty, integrity, toughness and all those things that come with it," Reid said.
After surviving a particularly nasty campaign, I asked the congressman-elect which contact sport is rougher: football or NJ politics?
"They're both about equal," Runyan said. "The difference is when I go to bed at night I'm not lying there in pain for an hour trying to fall asleep."
Runyan wants to work on cutting spending, taxes and the size of government. He says Republicans and Democrats have to work together to fix things in Washington.
After a number of interviews today, he hoped to spend some time with his parents who are visiting from Michigan before they head home on Thursday.
new jersey, election, jon runyan, inside politics, nora muchanic
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 15 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Shooting leads to police standoff in Logan 37 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 53 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 58 min ago
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to...
53 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
58 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
15 min ago