Rendell touts success of federal stimulus in Pa.
HARRISBURG, Pa. - January 13, 2011 -- The billions of dollars in federal stimulus funds pumped into Pennsylvania have lessened the impact of the recession on the state's families and funded projects that will pay dividends for years to come, Gov. Ed Rendell said Thursday.
"The stimulus has worked," Rendell said at a news conference. "It's not popular to say that. It may not even have the ring of truth about it."
He said the spending has been credited by the White House Council of Economic Advisors with creating or saving more than 136,000 jobs in the state, and that most of Pennsylvania's $31 billion share has now been spent on a mixture of tax cuts, infrastructure improvements, unemployment benefits, job training and other programs.
The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, as it is formally known, has helped resurface more than 940 miles of highways, repaired 6.5 million square feet of bridge decking, and funded 112 water projects.
It also helped extend access to high-speed Internet, boosted food stamp benefits and weatherized about 30,000 homes.
The $31 billion total for Pennsylvania consists of $16.6 billion administered through state government, including the infrastructure spending; $11 billion in tax credits and benefits to people and businesses; and $3.4 billion in federal grants.
Rendell said Pennsylvania has weathered the recession with the strongest economy among the large industrial states, noting that its most recent unemployment figure was 8.6 percent.
pennsylvania, gov. ed rendell, inside politics
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 1 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 19 min ago
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident 25 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Video: Annual Phila. Flower Show wraps up
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
19 min ago