NJ governor speaks at anti-abortion rally
TRENTON, N.J. - January 24, 2011 (WPVI) -- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie has told anti-abortion activists gathered in the bitter cold they have an ally in him.
But he urges them to speak "calmly and clearly and forthrightly" about their beliefs, saying "this is an issue whose time has come."
At a rally on the Statehouse steps Monday, the Republican governor said hearing the heartbeat of his unborn daughter 15 years ago convinced him to step off the sidelines on the issue.
Abortion opponents gathered around the country Monday to mark Saturday's 38th anniversary of the landmark Roe v. Wade U.S. Supreme Court decision legalizing abortion.
Christie's remarks come as Democrats continue to criticize him for cutting money for family planning from the state budget.
gov. chris christie, abortion, new jersey, inside politics
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia 55 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden 36 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Dad ditches stroller to catch baseball, son... 4 min ago
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
55 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
36 min ago
- Dad ditches stroller to catch baseball, son...
4 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos