Nancy Pelosi briefly hospitalized in Rome
ROME - March 21, 2011 (WPVI) -- House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi was briefly hospitalized in Rome early Monday after feeling unwell, but by afternoon had resumed her schedule, a spokesman said.
Pelosi, a former House speaker, skipped talks in the morning with Italian officials, including the defense minister, as she was taken ill, the ANSA news agency reported.
"After several flights yesterday in Afghanistan, and a long flight back to Italy that arrived early this morning, Leader Pelosi was not feeling well," spokesman Nadeam Elshami said in a statement released in Washington. "This morning in Rome, the leader was advised to visit a clinic, and the closest medical facility was a hospital."
The statement said Pelosi was resuming her schedule in Italy.
The ANSA news agency said the 70-year-old was taken to Rome's Policlinico hospital, where she underwent tests. She was then released and went back to the Rome hotel, ANSA said.
Later Monday, Pelosi held talks with Gianfranco Fini, the speaker of the lower house of Italy's parliament, ANSA said. The talks had originally been planned for earlier in the day.
Pelosi is in Italy with a congressional delegation.
italy, nancy pelosi, inside politics
- Former Philadelphia hero cop faces rape charges 13 min ago
- Shower In Spots
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make belly landing
- Child falls from 2-story window in Point Breeze
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- Man found shot and killed in Wynnefield
- FBI searches apartment in ricin letter case
- Suspect identified in fatal Hofstra home invasion
- Mother of 7-year-old hit-and-run victim speaks
- 1 winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Police: Boy, 6, kicked by pony on Lancaster Co. farm dies
- Connecticut commuter trains collide; 70 hospitalized
- Former Philadelphia hero cop faces rape...
13 min ago