Former Rep. John Adler of N.J. has died
TRENTON, N.J. - April 4, 2011 (WPVI) -- Former New Jersey congressman John Adler has died. He was 51.
A spokeswoman for Adler's law firm confirmed his death on Monday.
Adler had been at the University of Pennsylvania hospital since last month, when he underwent emergency surgery for an infection in the tissue around his heart.
Adler, a Democrat, served one term in Congress before being defeated in November by former Philadelphia Eagles lineman Jon Runyan.
Congressman Runyan released this statement: "May those he left behind be comforted in the knowledge that his lifetime of public service to our community has left a lasting legacy for which they can be most proud."
Adler was the first Democrat to represent his traditionally Republican 3rd Congressional District in more than a century.
Before being elected to Congress, he was a state senator and Cherry Hill councilman.
Republicans and fellow Democrats mourned his passing Monday, with GOP Gov. Gov. Chris Christie describing Adler as "a fine public servant and a good person."
Assembly Speaker Sheila Y. Oliver said "Congressman Adler was a true example of what it means to serve the people."
Senator Diane Allen said "His intellect and energy was a benefit to his constituents and all who had the honor of serving with him."
Adler leaves behind a wife, Shelly, and four children.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
new jersey, congress, rep. john adler, inside politics
- Video: Chris Sowers with storm update
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Up to 50 vehicles in deadly PA Turnpike crash 14 min ago
- Video: Widener U. students help stuck drivers 16 min ago
- Photos: Images of Sunday's winter storm
- Photos: Snow Ball 2013: Eagles vs. Lions 54 min ago
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps 19 min ago
- 6abc.com Flight Tracker
- Check local traffic on 6abc.com!
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Police: Son of PHA employee charged with DUI
- Body found in Logan tire fire
- Widener U. students help stuck drivers
16 min ago