Gov. Christie meets littlest big fan
TRENTON, N.J. - April 6, 2011 (WPVI) -- Millions of viewers have seen the little boy who cries because he's too young to be governor of New Jersey. Well, Governor Chris Christie has done something about that.
"I want to be governor of New Jersey, but I can't!"
That was little Jesse Koczon of Old Bridge on Election Day 2009, the day Chris Christie was elected governor. Jesse and his twin brother Branson went to the polls with their parents, but on the way home Jesse was heartbroken that not only could he not vote, but he couldn't qualify for the state's top job.
"Everyone tells me I'm too small to be the governor of New Jersey!"
This video, shot by Jesse's parents, went viral and when Governor Christie saw it he tweeted: "Don't worry Jesse, people gave plenty of reasons why I couldn't be governor, though being too small was not one of them."
Now 4 years old, Jesse's dream is coming true. At the statehouse in Trenton, Gov. Christie signed a proclamation naming the little guy honorary governor for a day and his twin brother Brandon Lt. Governor.
"I've never said this, but someone control the Lt. Governor!" Christie said during a ceremony today.
The 2 tiny politicians held a press conference like no other in memory -- and Jesse was asked about his prior comments on tape, when he was asked if he would raise property taxes. Jesse said, "Yes!"
That's generally the wrong answer, especially if you're hanging around with Gov. Christie. But don't worry; the real governor can be very persuasive.
"You and I had a talk back there about property taxes?" Christie asked. "What did I tell you?"
"Don't raise 'em," Jesse answered.
"And if you do, what's going to happen?" Christie asked.
"I'm not gonna be governor for that long!" Jesse said.
The Koczon kids are still a little young for politics, but of course they have time to grow into the job.
new jersey, gov. chris christie, inside politics
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 1 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 21 min ago
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident 27 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Video: Annual Phila. Flower Show wraps up
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
21 min ago