Gov. Christie meets littlest big fan
TRENTON, N.J. - April 6, 2011 (WPVI) -- Millions of viewers have seen the little boy who cries because he's too young to be governor of New Jersey. Well, Governor Chris Christie has done something about that.
"I want to be governor of New Jersey, but I can't!"
That was little Jesse Koczon of Old Bridge on Election Day 2009, the day Chris Christie was elected governor. Jesse and his twin brother Branson went to the polls with their parents, but on the way home Jesse was heartbroken that not only could he not vote, but he couldn't qualify for the state's top job.
"Everyone tells me I'm too small to be the governor of New Jersey!"
This video, shot by Jesse's parents, went viral and when Governor Christie saw it he tweeted: "Don't worry Jesse, people gave plenty of reasons why I couldn't be governor, though being too small was not one of them."
Now 4 years old, Jesse's dream is coming true. At the statehouse in Trenton, Gov. Christie signed a proclamation naming the little guy honorary governor for a day and his twin brother Brandon Lt. Governor.
"I've never said this, but someone control the Lt. Governor!" Christie said during a ceremony today.
The 2 tiny politicians held a press conference like no other in memory -- and Jesse was asked about his prior comments on tape, when he was asked if he would raise property taxes. Jesse said, "Yes!"
That's generally the wrong answer, especially if you're hanging around with Gov. Christie. But don't worry; the real governor can be very persuasive.
"You and I had a talk back there about property taxes?" Christie asked. "What did I tell you?"
"Don't raise 'em," Jesse answered.
"And if you do, what's going to happen?" Christie asked.
"I'm not gonna be governor for that long!" Jesse said.
The Koczon kids are still a little young for politics, but of course they have time to grow into the job.
new jersey, gov. chris christie, inside politics
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike 26 min ago
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd 17 min ago
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar
- Florida Rep. Radel returns from rehab
59 min ago