Corbett to address oil and gas drilling gathering
PITTSBURGH, Pa. - April 26, 2011 (WPVI) -- Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett will be speaking to a seminar for the oil and gas drilling industry in Pittsburgh.
Corbett's lunchtime address Tuesday is in Pittsburgh, which is fast becoming the regional headquarters for companies that are exploring the potentially lucrative Marcellus and Utica shales beneath Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia.
The seminar topics include technical, regulatory and legal subjects. Corbett will be speaking just days after his administration asked natural gas drillers to stop one of their most troubling environmental practices: taking polluted wastewater from gas wells to riverside treatment plants in Pennsylvania that aren't equipped to remove all the contaminants.
The companies believe that recent advances involving using hydraulic fracturing combined with horizontal drilling techniques can open up vast reserves of natural gas trapped in both shale formations.
philadelphia, gov. tom corbett, inside politics
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater 16 min ago
- Clouds to sun, cool today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry 26 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- 'GMA' promotes Lara Spencer to co-host 25 min ago