Corbett to address oil and gas drilling gathering
PITTSBURGH, Pa. - April 26, 2011 (WPVI) -- Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett will be speaking to a seminar for the oil and gas drilling industry in Pittsburgh.
Corbett's lunchtime address Tuesday is in Pittsburgh, which is fast becoming the regional headquarters for companies that are exploring the potentially lucrative Marcellus and Utica shales beneath Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia.
The seminar topics include technical, regulatory and legal subjects. Corbett will be speaking just days after his administration asked natural gas drillers to stop one of their most troubling environmental practices: taking polluted wastewater from gas wells to riverside treatment plants in Pennsylvania that aren't equipped to remove all the contaminants.
The companies believe that recent advances involving using hydraulic fracturing combined with horizontal drilling techniques can open up vast reserves of natural gas trapped in both shale formations.
philadelphia, gov. tom corbett, inside politics
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting 23 min ago
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- Penn State student dies in jump from garage
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ