John Edwards asks to not testify in sex tape case
HILLSBOROUGH, N.C. - June 10, 2011 (WPVI) -- Former presidential candidate John Edwards claims that protection against self-incrimination in his campaign finance prosecution should prevent an attempt to depose him in a separate case involving a purported sex tape made with his mistress.
Edwards said in court filings in a North Carolina state court this week that a scheduled June 20 deposition should wait until after the federal criminal case against him concludes.
Edwards is entitled to the stay "in order to protect his constitutional rights to due process, a fair trial and against self-incrimination," the filing states.
Edwards is the star witness in a privacy lawsuit his mistress Rielle Hunter filed against former Edwards campaign aide Andrew Young. Hunter contends Young improperly took from her sensitive materials, including a reputed sex tape showing Edwards. She wants the items returned to her.
Young said Hunter left them behind after leaving a hideout they shared while covering up Edwards' affair during the 2008 presidential campaign. Hunter said in an affidavit that she created a private video in September 2006.
Edwards was charged last week with six federal counts also related to Hunter. The government accused him of improperly using campaign money to keep Hunter out of the public eye as he pursued the White House. The charges include conspiracy, taking illegal campaign contributions and making false statements.
Edwards has insisted he did not break the law.
john edwards, north carolina, inside politics
- Bicyclist impaled on fence in Fairmount Park
- Another Beauty
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Actor James Gandolfini dies in Italy at age 51 11 min ago
- Shots fired at man sitting on steps in Point Breeze
- Water main break buckles road in South Philly
- Villanova lockdown over, all suspects in custody
- Boy, 6, hit by car in East Oak Lane
- Photos: Pictures of bear sightings in the area
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila.
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- Video: Phila. choir shares stage with Rolling Stones
- Actor James Gandolfini dies in Italy at age...
11 min ago
- NJ Gov. Christie is still a Dallas Cowboys...
35 min ago
- Sofitel Philadelphia's garden on the rooftop
37 min ago