John Edwards asks to not testify in sex tape case
HILLSBOROUGH, N.C. - June 10, 2011 (WPVI) -- Former presidential candidate John Edwards claims that protection against self-incrimination in his campaign finance prosecution should prevent an attempt to depose him in a separate case involving a purported sex tape made with his mistress.
Edwards said in court filings in a North Carolina state court this week that a scheduled June 20 deposition should wait until after the federal criminal case against him concludes.
Edwards is entitled to the stay "in order to protect his constitutional rights to due process, a fair trial and against self-incrimination," the filing states.
Edwards is the star witness in a privacy lawsuit his mistress Rielle Hunter filed against former Edwards campaign aide Andrew Young. Hunter contends Young improperly took from her sensitive materials, including a reputed sex tape showing Edwards. She wants the items returned to her.
Young said Hunter left them behind after leaving a hideout they shared while covering up Edwards' affair during the 2008 presidential campaign. Hunter said in an affidavit that she created a private video in September 2006.
Edwards was charged last week with six federal counts also related to Hunter. The government accused him of improperly using campaign money to keep Hunter out of the public eye as he pursued the White House. The charges include conspiracy, taking illegal campaign contributions and making false statements.
Edwards has insisted he did not break the law.
john edwards, north carolina, inside politics
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff
- AccuWeather: Very warm today, very cold tonight 16 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak Lane 18 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- AccuWeather: Very warm today, very cold...
16 min ago