Bachmann: Time was ripe to jump into 2012 race
WASHINGTON - June 14, 2011 (WPVI) -- Congresswoman Michele Bachmann says she decided to jump into the 2012 Republican presidential sweepstakes at this time because she believed it was "the right thing to do."
The tea party favorite from Minnesota used her appearance in Monday night's GOP candidate debate in New Hampshire to reveal that she had filed the necessary papers to be a candidate, expanding the current field of hopefuls to seven.
Asked how she would feel about former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin getting into the race, Bachmann says, "I have great respect and admiration for the governor." Bachmann tells CBS's "The Early Show" that she believes the Republicans have a strong field and "I think we have room for more if the governor chooses to get in." She says she'll make her formal announcement soon.
republicans, michele bachmann, inside politics
- Hit and run victim found near Wilmington road
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler 51 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
- Funeral for Nelson Mandela to be held Dec. 15th
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Video: Jim Gardner recalls visiting Mandela's cell
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Police question suspect in Christmas package theft 53 min ago
- Pa. man gets probation for 105 animals in mobile home 21 min ago
- Charges filed in alleged chop shop raid in N. Phila. 54 min ago
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- 2 women hospitalized after Schuylkill Expy. crash 3 min ago
- Police question suspect in Christmas...
53 min ago