Bachmann: Time was ripe to jump into 2012 race
WASHINGTON - June 14, 2011 (WPVI) -- Congresswoman Michele Bachmann says she decided to jump into the 2012 Republican presidential sweepstakes at this time because she believed it was "the right thing to do."
The tea party favorite from Minnesota used her appearance in Monday night's GOP candidate debate in New Hampshire to reveal that she had filed the necessary papers to be a candidate, expanding the current field of hopefuls to seven.
Asked how she would feel about former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin getting into the race, Bachmann says, "I have great respect and admiration for the governor." Bachmann tells CBS's "The Early Show" that she believes the Republicans have a strong field and "I think we have room for more if the governor chooses to get in." She says she'll make her formal announcement soon.
republicans, michele bachmann, inside politics
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester 57 min ago
- Van crash leaves 2 men trapped in Center City
- Victim critical after stabbing in Frankford 58 min ago
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Crimea votes on Ukraine secession 17 min ago
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies