Bachmann: Time was ripe to jump into 2012 race
WASHINGTON - June 14, 2011 (WPVI) -- Congresswoman Michele Bachmann says she decided to jump into the 2012 Republican presidential sweepstakes at this time because she believed it was "the right thing to do."
The tea party favorite from Minnesota used her appearance in Monday night's GOP candidate debate in New Hampshire to reveal that she had filed the necessary papers to be a candidate, expanding the current field of hopefuls to seven.
Asked how she would feel about former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin getting into the race, Bachmann says, "I have great respect and admiration for the governor." Bachmann tells CBS's "The Early Show" that she believes the Republicans have a strong field and "I think we have room for more if the governor chooses to get in." She says she'll make her formal announcement soon.
republicans, michele bachmann, inside politics
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Puppy poisoned in Mantua, New Jersey
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still missing
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Wawa celebrates 50th birthday with big gifts
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man