Millionaire Tom Knox won't run for Philly mayor
PHILADELPHIA - June 27, 2011 (WPVI) -- Former health care executive Tom Knox on Monday switched his party affiliation from independent back to Democrat, saying he wanted to end speculation that he would challenge Mayor Michael Nutter in the November election. Instead, Knox said he intends to run for governor in 2014.
Knox, a millionaire who lost to Nutter in a five-way Democratic mayoral primary in 2007, made the announcement at City Hall, with Nutter at his side. He repeated his earlier statement that he had switched his affiliation in April only on the outside chance that Nutter lost last month's Democratic primary to long-shot candidate T. Milton Street. Nutter won easily.
Knox said he was announcing his switch back to Democrat in an effort to end speculation that he might challenge Nutter.
"I'm not running for mayor at all," he said. Instead, Knox said he intends to run for governor in a few years. Republican Gov. Tom Corbett was inaugurated in January and potentially would face re-election in 2014.
Former Mayor John F. Street, Nutter's predecessor and longtime political foe, also switched his party affiliation from Democrat to independent but has not said whether he would run for mayor.
At this point, Nutter faces only Republican candidate Karen Brown in his bid for a second term. Brown, a former schoolteacher, is the clear underdog in a city where Democrats outnumber Republicans more than 6-to-1.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, inside politics
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Oil slick, debris not from missing Malaysia jet 7 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 52 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Are store credit cards worth the discount? 59 min ago
- Photos: Kevin Grow joins Harlem Globetrotters
- Video: Skydiver's mid-air collision with plane 13 min ago
- Skydiver's mid-air collision with plane
13 min ago
- 85-year-old grandma outsmarts robber
32 min ago