Bachmann quits race, says she'll fight for issues
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - January 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- Michele Bachmann is quitting the Republican presidential campaign, saying she's "decided to stand aside" in the wake of her sixth place finish in the Iowa precinct caucuses.
Speaking deliberatively at a news conference in Des Moines, Bachmann said she had "no regrets" whatsoever and said she ran her race with integrity and will continue to fight for the causes she emphasized on the campaign trail.
It has been a long, deep slide for the Minnesota congresswoman, who enjoyed a high point in her campaign when she won a Republican straw poll in Ames, Iowa several months ago.
She said she has no regrets about running, and that she will continue to fight for the causes she emphasized during the campaign.In her statement, Bachmann referred repeatedly to "Obamacare" and said the Republican Party must not miss a "once-in-a-lifetime opportunity" to repeal both the sweeping health care law under Obama's watch and the financial regulation law known as Dodd-Frank.
Bachmann had been among the candidates trying to establish themselves as the true conservative in the race -- and now that she is ending her campaign for the GOP presidential nomination, her supporters are up for grabs.
Those who could benefit include Rick Santorum, Newt Gingrich and Rick Perry. Her campaign manager says she doesn't have an endorsement in mind, and that there's no time frame for her to make one.
michele bachmann, republicans, inside politics
- Screaming man attacks police station, cars 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today 57 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of smashed police car, station... 39 min ago
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- Video: Would-be firebomber sets self on fire 52 min ago