Occupiers interrupt as Christie joins Romney in NH
MANCHESTER, N.H. - January 8, 2012 (WPVI) -- Mitt Romney enjoys what is by any measure a healthy lead two days before the primary. But he is not content to rest on any perceived laurels.
Tonight, in a speech aimed as much at a national audience as at the one in New Hampshire, he pulled out arguably the Republicans' most powerful weapon - New Jersey Governor Chris Christie.
On a stage packed with family members, in a room packed with fans, Mitt Romney basked in the glow of a man who once considered running against him.
Tonight, in Exeter High School auditorium, Chris Christie was one part political cheer leader and one part the raw anti-politician that has brought him so much national praise.
"I'm thrilled to be standing next to someone I can say I'm proud to endorse for president of the United States," Christie said.
Occupy protesters interrupted not only Christie's speech, but also Romney's in what observers say was the longest, loudest outburst yet seen in his campaign.
Unfazed, Romney acknowledged them, and moved on.
"We're happy to have you guys express your views; next time, just do it with more courtesy," Romney said.
Lately, Governor Romney has had to do a lot talking over detractors.
Leading in New Hampshire by double digits, he has become the target of increasingly pointed attacks, many of them launched at this morning's GOP debate in Concord.
"Can we drop a little bit of the pious baloney?" presidential candidate Newt Gingrich said.
Meanwhile, there was a local connection to the debates. A group of political science students from Rowan University are in New Hampshire to observe the political process up close and personal. Action News spoke with some of them.
"I'm soaking it all in. This is my first time ever coming to a political place, so it was really cool seeing everything," Rowan student Cindelle Harris said.
republicans, new hampshire, mitt romney, newt gingrich, rick santorum, election, ron paul, michele bachmann, jon huntsman, rick perry, gov. chris christie, inside politics, brian taff
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect 22 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days 39 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Investigators chasing 'every angle' on missing jet
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
22 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
39 min ago