Campaign officials: Huntsman to quit GOP race
WASHINGTON (AP) - January 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- Jon Huntsman will withdraw Monday from the race for the Republican presidential nomination.
Campaign officials tell The Associated Press Huntsman will endorse Mitt Romney at an event in South Carolina on Monday morning.
The former Utah governor placed third in last week's New Hampshire primary despite devoting much of his campaign resources to the state. He had already acknowledged that expectations for him in South Carolina's primary this week will be "very low."
Huntsman was routinely at the bottom of national polls, barely registering at 1 or 2 percent.
The campaign officials spoke on condition of anonymity because Huntsman plans to make the official announcement Monday.
republicans, mitt romney, newt gingrich, rick santorum, election, ron paul, michele bachmann, jon huntsman, rick perry, inside politics
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ