Christie: No regret for 'idiot' remark
TRENTON, N.J. - March 12, 2012 (WPVI) -- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie says he doesn't regret calling a former Navy SEAL an "idiot" during a heated exchange at a recent public event.
Christie's comment capped off two minutes of increasingly heated back-and-forth with 34-year-old William Brown at a town hall-style event in Burlington County on Thursday.
Brown, a former Democratic candidate for state Assembly, challenged Christie's plan to merge Rutgers and Rowan Universities. He is a law student at Rutgers-Camden who opposes the merger.
On Monday, Christie defended his action, saying: "He acted like an idiot. He's an idiot. I don't have any regret about it at all."
Christie says he honors the Mount Laurel man's military service, but that "doesn't give him the right to be a jerk."
new jersey, drugs, gov. chris christie, inside politics
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school 3 min ago
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Runway littered with holiday mail 47 min ago
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash 32 min ago
- Bishop McDevitt HS student robbed at gunpoint 41 min ago
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ 19 min ago
- Gov. Christie signs immigrant tuition bill
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Temps Soar
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle...
32 min ago