Christie: No regret for 'idiot' remark
TRENTON, N.J. - March 12, 2012 (WPVI) -- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie says he doesn't regret calling a former Navy SEAL an "idiot" during a heated exchange at a recent public event.
Christie's comment capped off two minutes of increasingly heated back-and-forth with 34-year-old William Brown at a town hall-style event in Burlington County on Thursday.
Brown, a former Democratic candidate for state Assembly, challenged Christie's plan to merge Rutgers and Rowan Universities. He is a law student at Rutgers-Camden who opposes the merger.
On Monday, Christie defended his action, saying: "He acted like an idiot. He's an idiot. I don't have any regret about it at all."
Christie says he honors the Mount Laurel man's military service, but that "doesn't give him the right to be a jerk."
new jersey, drugs, gov. chris christie, inside politics
- This is now Philly's 2nd snowiest winter
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Photos: LATEST MAPS: 6+" in parts of NJ
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words
- Obama announces sanctions against Russians 8 min ago
- Earthquake strongly felt across Los Angeles 5 min ago
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 8 min ago
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- Photos: Pictures from Phila. St. Patrick's Parade 22 min ago