Ind. officials say $205M in local taxes mishandled
INDIANAPOLIS - April 05, 2012 (WPVI) -- The head of Indiana's Department of Revenue is resigning after state officials found that $205 million in local option income tax revenue was not distributed to counties.
State budget director Adam Horst says department commissioner John Eckart will step down after seven years leading the agency.
Speaking at a Thursday news conference, Horst blamed the problem on a programming error.
The revelation of mishandled revenue follows news late last year that some $320 million in corporate taxes collected over four years had not been transferred to Indiana's general fund.
The revenue department says the mishandled money will be distributed with interest to the 91 of Indiana's 92 counties that have local income taxes. An outside audit will be conducted of the agency's procedures.
indiana, money, taxes, inside politics
- Person of interest ID'd in hit-and-run 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Camden teen reported missing 21 min ago
- Flyers rally to beat Rangers 4-2, even series 49 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Video: Snowmobiler charged by angry moose