Obama urges Romney to release past tax returns
WASHINGTON - April 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- President Barack Obama is calling on Republican Mitt Romney to release his past tax returns. Obama says it's important for candidates to be "as transparent as possible."
Obama tells Univision that candidates should "let people know who we are" and "what we stand for."
The president says the act of releasing tax returns is "just carrying on a tradition that has existed throughout the modern presidency."
Obama has released tax returns for last year, showing that he paid more than $160,000 in federal taxes on nearly $790,000 in income. Obama's campaign has released tax information going back to 2000 and pressured Romney to release past records.
Romney's campaign projects he will pay $6.2 million in taxes on $45 million in income in 2010 and 2011.
president barack obama, republicans, democrats, taxes, election, mitt romney, inside politics
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua 44 min ago
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- 2 suspects wanted in home invasion in Dover
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish