Philly activists: Denied entrance to Romney event
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - April 16, 2012 -- More than a dozen activists who bought tickets to a Philadelphia event featuring Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney say they were denied entrance without explanation.
The activists protested Monday on the steps of the Franklin Institute in central Philadelphia as Romney spoke inside at an event organized by the Independence Hall Tea Party.
The protesters said that when they tried to go inside, they were refused entry. Event organizers eventually granted them refunds for their $20 tickets after they chanted loudly on the steps.
The activists, who were from groups such as Occupy Philly and Fight For Philly, said they just wanted to ask Romney questions about his policies.
Che Saitta, 23, from Philadelphia, who said she was with Fight For Philly, said she was among those denied entrance.
"I don't know why. They wouldn't tell me," she said.
Saitta, who said she graduated from Temple University last year with a degree in graphic design but is working four jobs in unrelated fields to make ends meet, said she wanted to ask Romney about his stances on health care insurance and student loans.
Paola Pedraza-Rivera, 22, from Philadelphia, said when she got up to the entrance she saw her name highlighted on a list and was denied entry.
"They just said 'You can't come in, period,'" said Pedraza-Rivera, who said she wanted to tell Romney to close tax loopholes and fund education and social programs instead.
A message could not be left for a number listed on the Tea Party group's website.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, mitt romney, inside politics
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- Mostly sunny, very windy today 17 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man critical after shooting in SW Phila. 2 min ago
- Fire damages corner produce store in North Philly 12 min ago
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Serial burglar strikes South Phila. businesses
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Middle Township crash
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Arrest warrant issued in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Police release surveillance of Target heist
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
17 min ago
More Inside Poltics
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos