Giffords inspires crowd at Democratic convention
WASHINGTON (AP) - September 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- Gabrielle Giffords has inspired the cheering delegates at the Democratic National Convention by leading the Pledge of Allegiance.
The former Arizona congresswoman came to the stage Thursday night, walking with a distinct limp as she received a standing ovation. Convention spectators had tears in their eyes when she finished. She smiled broadly and waved enthusiastically to the audience as they chanted, "Gabby, Gabby."
Giffords has helped out Democrats on occasion after resigning earlier this year to focus on her recovery from a gunshot wound to the head. She campaigned for the former aide who took her seat in Congress, Ron Barber. She also has formed a political action committee.
Democratic officials, sensing the dramatic effect of Giffords' appearance, pushed back the Pledge a few hours.
democrats, rep. gabrielle giffords, inside politics
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Tracking Weekend Storm 27 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- OSHA investigates lead exposure at Oxford Mills 46 min ago
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No death penalty for man charged in wife death
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft
- North Korea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle 58 min ago
- Flyers fans receive greatest Christmas gift
37 min ago
- Firefighter adopts abused cat
54 min ago
- Tracking Weekend Storm
27 min ago
More Inside Poltics
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos