Giffords inspires crowd at Democratic convention
WASHINGTON (AP) - September 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- Gabrielle Giffords has inspired the cheering delegates at the Democratic National Convention by leading the Pledge of Allegiance.
The former Arizona congresswoman came to the stage Thursday night, walking with a distinct limp as she received a standing ovation. Convention spectators had tears in their eyes when she finished. She smiled broadly and waved enthusiastically to the audience as they chanted, "Gabby, Gabby."
Giffords has helped out Democrats on occasion after resigning earlier this year to focus on her recovery from a gunshot wound to the head. She campaigned for the former aide who took her seat in Congress, Ron Barber. She also has formed a political action committee.
Democratic officials, sensing the dramatic effect of Giffords' appearance, pushed back the Pledge a few hours.
democrats, rep. gabrielle giffords, inside politics
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 2 min ago
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Fairy Godmothers make prom dreams come true
40 min ago