Del. state senate candidate suspends campaign
DOVER, Del. (AP) - October 12, 2012 (WPVI) -- A state Senate candidate from Sussex County has suspended his campaign amid rumors that he is the subject of a police investigation.
State Republican Party Chairman John Sigler said 19th District Senate candidate Eric Bodenweiser informed him an email Friday that he was suspending his campaign for personal reasons.
Duke Brooks, a spokesman for the Sussex County Republican Committee, said committee members learned about two weeks ago of rumors involving allegations of serious criminal conduct by Bodenweiser about 20 years ago.
Spokesmen for the Delaware State Police and attorney general's office refused to confirm any investigation involving Bodenweiser, a tea-party favorite who won last month's GOP primary.
Bodenweiser, who has skipped some recent political gatherings, did not immediately return a message left on his cell phone.
delaware, sussex county, inside politics
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia 13 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester 53 min ago
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ