Pa. Senate candidates meet for only debate
WYNNEFIELD HEIGHTS - October 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- Democratic U.S. Sen. Bob Casey and his Republican challenger Tom Smith met for their first and only debate Friday at 6abc.
52-year-old Casey is running for a second, six-year term while 65-year-old Smith is a Tea Party favorite and political newcomer.
Smith paints Senator Casey as a big spending liberal and a rubber stamp for President Obama while Sen. Casey says Smith is a Tea Party darling who will appeal the president's affordable health care plan.
"This election is about jobs, we know that. The affordable care act is one of the reasons why business are so afraid to expand and hire," said Smith.
"The worst thing we could do on healthcare is put our head in the sand and do nothing, which is what repeal means. We need to make it work, protect our kids and make sure our seniors are protected on Medicare," said Sen. Casey.
What about reforms on Wall Street and possibly breaking up the big banks?
"I voted in favor of the legislation to finally crack down on the abuses in Wall Street. The kind of roulette people play with money that folks invest, powerful interest, making deals and scheme artist that are undermining our economy," said Sen. Casey.
"I'm beholding to no one. I was a democrat and I had to leave them because of some of their policies," said Smith.
The candidates also dueled over their anti-abortion positions, Medicare and cuts in federal spending.
election, debate, u.s. senate, pennsylvania, inside politics, vernon odom
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City 7 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser 43 min ago
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- 76ers owner Harris calls 19-win season 'success'
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Bride gets help after banquet closes
- Worth the wait: Easter treats in Philadelphia
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
7 min ago