GOP's Runyan hangs onto seat in NJ's 3rd District
TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - November 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- Republican U.S. Rep. Jon Runyan has held onto his seat in Congress by defeating the widow of the congressman he unseated two years ago.
The former lineman with the Philadelphia Eagles beat Democrat Shelley Adler in New Jersey's 3rd District, the most closely watched of the state's 12 congressional races decided Tuesday.
The 38-year-old first-term Republican was first elected in 2010 by defeating first-term U.S. Rep. John Adler, a Democrat.
Adler died last year at 51 from an infection of the tissue around his heart.
Shelley Adler is a former Cherry Hill Township councilwoman and a Harvard-educated lawyer.
new jersey, inside politics
- Lockdown at high school in Bethlehem 2 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed 46 min ago
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident
- Search for missing teenager in Camden
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 34 min ago
- DA: Montco man gave alcohol at 'Sweet 16' party 10 min ago
- Minivan, car collide head-on in Paoli 47 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Elderly woman hurt in East Windsor apartment fire 1 min ago
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
More Inside Poltics
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos