GOP's Runyan hangs onto seat in NJ's 3rd District
TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - November 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- Republican U.S. Rep. Jon Runyan has held onto his seat in Congress by defeating the widow of the congressman he unseated two years ago.
The former lineman with the Philadelphia Eagles beat Democrat Shelley Adler in New Jersey's 3rd District, the most closely watched of the state's 12 congressional races decided Tuesday.
The 38-year-old first-term Republican was first elected in 2010 by defeating first-term U.S. Rep. John Adler, a Democrat.
Adler died last year at 51 from an infection of the tissue around his heart.
Shelley Adler is a former Cherry Hill Township councilwoman and a Harvard-educated lawyer.
new jersey, inside politics
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 4 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Fire forces several residents from Logan apts.
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry 15 min ago
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Video: Parents outraged by faked kidnapping
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer 19 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
4 min ago