GOP's Runyan hangs onto seat in NJ's 3rd District
TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - November 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- Republican U.S. Rep. Jon Runyan has held onto his seat in Congress by defeating the widow of the congressman he unseated two years ago.
The former lineman with the Philadelphia Eagles beat Democrat Shelley Adler in New Jersey's 3rd District, the most closely watched of the state's 12 congressional races decided Tuesday.
The 38-year-old first-term Republican was first elected in 2010 by defeating first-term U.S. Rep. John Adler, a Democrat.
Adler died last year at 51 from an infection of the tissue around his heart.
Shelley Adler is a former Cherry Hill Township councilwoman and a Harvard-educated lawyer.
new jersey, inside politics
- Actor James Gandolfini dies at 51
- Splendid spring finale 56 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Boy, 6, hit by car in East Oak Lane
- Villanova lockdown over, all suspects in custody
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila. 59 min ago
- Back yard bear prompts photos, videos 58 min ago
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- AMA declares obesity a disease [POLL]
- Video: Phila. choir shares stage with Rolling Stones
- Desmond's slam leads Nats over Phillies 48 min ago
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila.
59 min ago