GOP's Runyan hangs onto seat in NJ's 3rd District
TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - November 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- Republican U.S. Rep. Jon Runyan has held onto his seat in Congress by defeating the widow of the congressman he unseated two years ago.
The former lineman with the Philadelphia Eagles beat Democrat Shelley Adler in New Jersey's 3rd District, the most closely watched of the state's 12 congressional races decided Tuesday.
The 38-year-old first-term Republican was first elected in 2010 by defeating first-term U.S. Rep. John Adler, a Democrat.
Adler died last year at 51 from an infection of the tissue around his heart.
Shelley Adler is a former Cherry Hill Township councilwoman and a Harvard-educated lawyer.
new jersey, inside politics
- 2 winners in $636M Mega Millions drawing 50 min ago
- Brisk And Cold
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Water main break causes river of ice in Cherry Hill
- Husband charged with wife's murder in Bethlehem 16 min ago
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies
- 3 injured in car crash in Pennsauken
- Fire damages South Philadelphia apartment
- Man shot several times in stomach in Chester 3 min ago
- Police: Job applicant stole from tip jar 9 min ago
- Dramatic video released of violent 7-Eleven robbery
- Coach charged with sexually assaulting 4 more victims
- 91-year-old man stabbed, robbed in Egg Harbor