Buono's candidacy gains attention in NJ gov's race
TRENTON, N.J. - January 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- Sen. Barbara Buono's campaign for New Jersey governor gained attention with a major endorsement and a tentative blessing from the state's most influential Democrat.
Monmouth County Democrats hoped to break the party's logjam over picking a gubernatorial candidate by endorsing the 59-year-old Metuchen resident.
County organization Chairman Vin Gopal says Buono is the only major Democrat so far with the courage to challenge Gov. Chris Christie in the November election.
Meanwhile, Democratic power broker George Norcross III told Politickernj.com that the party should rally around Buono in the absence of another candidate.
Norcross told the Web site he doesn't think former Gov. Dick Codey has the courage to run.
Christie, whose approval ratings soared after Hurricane Sandy, will be heavily favored to win re-election against any Democrat.
new jersey, election, gov. chris christie, democrats, republicans, inside politics
- Actor James Gandolfini dies at 51 36 min ago
- Splendid spring finale 21 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Boy, 6, hit by car in East Oak Lane 31 min ago
- Villanova lockdown over, all suspects in custody 26 min ago
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila. 24 min ago
- Back yard bear prompts photos, videos 23 min ago
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- AMA declares obesity a disease [POLL]
- Video: Phila. choir shares stage with Rolling Stones
- Desmond's slam leads Nats over Phillies 13 min ago
- Actor James Gandolfini dies at 51
36 min ago
- Villanova lockdown over, all suspects in...
26 min ago
- Boy, 6, hit by car in East Oak Lane
31 min ago
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila.
24 min ago