Buono's candidacy gains attention in NJ gov's race
TRENTON, N.J. - January 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- Sen. Barbara Buono's campaign for New Jersey governor gained attention with a major endorsement and a tentative blessing from the state's most influential Democrat.
Monmouth County Democrats hoped to break the party's logjam over picking a gubernatorial candidate by endorsing the 59-year-old Metuchen resident.
County organization Chairman Vin Gopal says Buono is the only major Democrat so far with the courage to challenge Gov. Chris Christie in the November election.
Meanwhile, Democratic power broker George Norcross III told Politickernj.com that the party should rally around Buono in the absence of another candidate.
Norcross told the Web site he doesn't think former Gov. Dick Codey has the courage to run.
Christie, whose approval ratings soared after Hurricane Sandy, will be heavily favored to win re-election against any Democrat.
new jersey, election, gov. chris christie, democrats, republicans, inside politics
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Breezy And Mild! 38 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected 35 min ago
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike 12 min ago
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Breezy And Mild!
38 min ago
More Inside Poltics
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos