Reid gives backing to Senator Menendez
WASHINGTON (AP) - February 3, 2013 (WPVI) -- Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid says he has the "utmost confidence" in fellow Democratic Sen. Robert Menendez and says he has confidence the New Jersey senator "did nothing wrong" in associating with a prominent political donor who appears to be under investigation by the FBI.
Reid adds: "But that's what investigations are all about."
Menendez's office last week disclosed that he reimbursed the donor, Dr. Salomon Melgen, for the full cost of two trips that Menendez took in 2010 to the Dominican Republic.
The FBI searched the eye doctor's office in a raid that took place on Tuesday night and early Wednesday.
Reid said on ABC's "This Week" that he's comfortable with Menendez serving as the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
new jersey, inside politics
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for hours
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs