Reid gives backing to Senator Menendez
WASHINGTON (AP) - February 3, 2013 (WPVI) -- Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid says he has the "utmost confidence" in fellow Democratic Sen. Robert Menendez and says he has confidence the New Jersey senator "did nothing wrong" in associating with a prominent political donor who appears to be under investigation by the FBI.
Reid adds: "But that's what investigations are all about."
Menendez's office last week disclosed that he reimbursed the donor, Dr. Salomon Melgen, for the full cost of two trips that Menendez took in 2010 to the Dominican Republic.
The FBI searched the eye doctor's office in a raid that took place on Tuesday night and early Wednesday.
Reid said on ABC's "This Week" that he's comfortable with Menendez serving as the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
new jersey, inside politics
- Mug shot released of McNabb after Ariz. arrest 47 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist 27 min ago
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital 19 min ago
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy
- 1 dead in cement truck, car crash in Levittown
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply