NJ Congressman Chris Smith among US delegation to Vatican
TRENTON, N.J. - March 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- A longtime New Jersey congressman will be among a bipartisan group of federal leaders heading to the Vatican this week for the investiture of Pope Francis.
Republican Rep. Chris Smith, who represents the state's 4th District, was tapped for the trip by House Speaker John Boehner. The American delegation will be headed by Vice President Joe Biden.
Smith chairs the House's subcommittee on Africa, Global Health, Global Human Rights and International Organizations Subcommittee.
While in Rome, Smith says he plans to meet with Vatican officials to discuss human rights issues, including human trafficking, religious freedom and culture of life issues.
new jersey, pope francis, vatican, inside politics
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ