NJ Congressman Chris Smith among US delegation to Vatican
TRENTON, N.J. - March 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- A longtime New Jersey congressman will be among a bipartisan group of federal leaders heading to the Vatican this week for the investiture of Pope Francis.
Republican Rep. Chris Smith, who represents the state's 4th District, was tapped for the trip by House Speaker John Boehner. The American delegation will be headed by Vice President Joe Biden.
Smith chairs the House's subcommittee on Africa, Global Health, Global Human Rights and International Organizations Subcommittee.
While in Rome, Smith says he plans to meet with Vatican officials to discuss human rights issues, including human trafficking, religious freedom and culture of life issues.
new jersey, pope francis, vatican, inside politics
- Search for Okla. tornado survivors nearly complete 1 min ago
- Steamy Situation
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams
- Local search and rescue team helping in Oklahoma
- Hats get women ejected from King of Prussia Mall 33 min ago
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Butkovitz an early winner as Pa. primary ballots are tallied
- Chesco man killed longtime girlfriend, police say
- Police: 2 caught red-handed in Radnor burlgary
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Young and Howard lift Phillies over Marlins 27 min ago
- Sleep monitors promise a better night's sleep
- Search for Okla. tornado survivors nearly...
1 min ago