NJ Congressman Chris Smith among US delegation to Vatican
TRENTON, N.J. - March 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- A longtime New Jersey congressman will be among a bipartisan group of federal leaders heading to the Vatican this week for the investiture of Pope Francis.
Republican Rep. Chris Smith, who represents the state's 4th District, was tapped for the trip by House Speaker John Boehner. The American delegation will be headed by Vice President Joe Biden.
Smith chairs the House's subcommittee on Africa, Global Health, Global Human Rights and International Organizations Subcommittee.
While in Rome, Smith says he plans to meet with Vatican officials to discuss human rights issues, including human trafficking, religious freedom and culture of life issues.
new jersey, pope francis, vatican, inside politics
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd 20 min ago
- 70s Return This Week
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery 2 min ago
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia fire
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
20 min ago
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery
2 min ago