LA mayor race: Eric Garcetti leads in new poll
LOS ANGELES -- Eric Garcetti has opened up a substantial lead in the race for Los Angeles mayor, according to our exclusive Eyewitness News poll by SurveyUSA.
Mayoral candidate Wendy Greuel on Wednesday came out swinging. As the city considered stiff budget cuts, Greuel attacked Garcetti while he was the city council president.
"I've seen the waste, the spending over the last four years. As city council president, Eric Garcetti has been at the eye of the storm in L.A.'s high unemployment," said Greuel.
There were big changes in the Greuel camp over the weekend. Several staffers resigned and she named a new campaign manager. I asked her about the new aggressive campaigning.
"I've been aggressive from the day one," she said.
This comes as our latest poll shows Garcetti leading with 47 percent and Greuel at 40 percent.
"I think we see on the other side a campaign coming a bit undone. They're throwing attacks at us," said Garcetti.
Part of the survey was conducted after Greuel announced that she was endorsed by former President Bill Clinton.
"I'll have to say in the last few days with the endorsement of not only President Clinton and Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas, the important role that is going to play going forward," said Greuel.
Garcetti said he's happy with the results of the poll.
"I'm very excited to hear those numbers, but the only poll that is going to matter is May 21," said Garcetti.
At a rally in downtown Los Angeles Wednesday, Garcetti was endorsed by a number of union members and union locals that represent mainly workers employed by private companies. Greuel has received the endorsement of public service unions.
"This campaign is about creating jobs and solving problems for people in every Los Angeles community," Garcetti told the crowd.
election, politics, carlos granda
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Upper Darby's Chitwood reflects on career
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed