LA mayor race: Rep. Brad Sherman endorses Wendy Greuel
LOS ANGELES -- Congressman Brad Sherman (D-San Fernando Valley) threw his support behind L.A. City Controller Wendy Greuel Wednesday in her bid to become L.A.'s next mayor. At a gathering at the career center at Cal State Northridge, Sherman explained why he believes Greuel is the right person for the job.
"We need the candidate with the best experience to lead Los Angeles and hopefully also the greatest dedication to fight for the San Fernando Valley," said Sherman.
Representative Sherman said transportation in and out of the Valley is one of the issues the next mayor of L.A. must address, as well as changing the environment for small-business owners in the city.
"Brad Sherman and I share a vision for the city of Los Angeles," said Greuel. "We want a city that is going to create and attract great jobs and make Los Angeles a great place to do business."
On the other side of town, city councilman and rival mayoral candidate Eric Garcetti addressed a crowd at a family center he says he helped open that gives local residents assistance with parenting classes, tutoring, job placement and taxes.
"My top priority is to make government work for the people, to make sure that red tape gets cut, to make it easy for taxpayers get the help that they need, to get their problems solved," said Garcetti.
Tuesday, former mayoral candidate Republican Kevin James announced he's backing Garcetti. The move is significant because James received nearly a quarter of the votes cast in the San Fernando Valley during the primary election. But Wednesday Garcetti dismissed Sherman's support of Greuel.
"All the endorsements are less important than the voters themselves," said Garcetti. "The only endorsement that matters is people who show up and vote for you, so while a lot of people are fixated on the names that are behind us, I'm fixated on a campaign that can win and that can help govern this city."
election, politics, jovana lara
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target 21 min ago
- Winter Warm Up 10 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery 45 min ago
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses 29 min ago
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus 20 min ago
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments 17 min ago
- Upper Darby's Chitwood reflects on career 10 min ago
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed 46 min ago
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target
21 min ago
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
20 min ago
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay...
17 min ago
- Upper Darby's Chitwood reflects on career
10 min ago