Gun control deal reached on background checks
WASHINGTON -- Two pivotal senators have reached a bipartisan deal on gun legislation that would expand required background checks for purchases at gun shows and online.
Currently the checks are only required for sales handled through licensed gun dealers.
Sens. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., and Patrick Toomey, R-Pa., said their accord would help keep firearms from criminals and the mentally ill.
The agreement could build support for President Barack Obama's drive to curb firearms violence. If the deal between two of the most conservative members of each party holds, it's believed that the bill will pass the Senate, which votes on Thursday.
"Truly the events at Newtown changed us all," Manchin said. "Americans on both sides of the debate can and must find common ground."
Background checks have gotten the most support from the public of all other gun control measures. According to a Quinnipiac University poll, 91 percent of respondents are in favor of requiring background checks for all gun buyers.
But the National Rifle Association remained critical of the deal.
"Expanding background checks at gun shows will not prevent the next shooting, will not solve violent crime and will not keep our kids safe in schools," the NRA said in a statement, adding that lawmakers should instead focus on fixing the country's mental health system and on gang violence.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
senate, shooting, school shooting, politics
- Snow today, heavy at times 30 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm 37 min ago
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps 22 min ago
- Pa. Lottery experiencing outages due to weather
- Video: David Henry's noon report from Rittenhouse...
- Video: Katherine Scott's noon report from Delaware
- Video: John Rawlins' noon report from E. Norriton
- Video: Nora Muchanic's noon report from Trenton
- Video: Annie McCormick in Mobile 6 on I-76
- 2 corrections officers hurt in Concord Twp. crash
- Arrest made in murder over Beats headphones 1 min ago
- Snow today, heavy at times
30 min ago