Bill Clinton joins Wendy Greuel at LA mayoral campaign event
LOS ANGELES -- Former President Bill Clinton joined Los Angeles mayoral candidate Wendy Greuel in a campaign event in the Westlake District on Saturday.
Clinton joined a group of her supporters for a town hall-style luncheon at Langer's Deli.
Clinton said he's giving Greuel his vote of confidence because he knows she can get the job done, having worked in his administration in the Department of Housing and Urban Development. He said he'd also like to see a woman lead Los Angeles.
"I think it'd be even better to have the first female mayor," Clinton said. "I have seen her get things done."
Greuel said she's the candidate to create jobs and reduce the city's high unemployment.
"I'm going to bring the qualities and the efforts that this gentleman taught me, and my mentor Tom Bradley, many years ago to lead Los Angeles forward," Greuel said.
Also Saturday, fellow mayoral candidate Eric Garcetti met with environmentalists at an Earth Day celebration along the Los Angeles River in Atwater Village.
"This isn't about out-of-town folks telling us how to vote," Garcetti said about Greuel's event. "I have a lot of respect for the people who have supported Mrs. Gruel, who've supported me, but this is our decision, each voter, looking at our records."
Garcetti said he's focused on continuing to rebuild the city's neighborhoods.
The candidates are scheduled to debate on ABC7 on May 10.
The runoff election takes place on May 21.
election, politics, melissa macbride
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar 59 min ago
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen 40 min ago
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
40 min ago
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
59 min ago