Bill Clinton joins Wendy Greuel at LA mayoral campaign event
LOS ANGELES -- Former President Bill Clinton joined Los Angeles mayoral candidate Wendy Greuel in a campaign event in the Westlake District on Saturday.
Clinton joined a group of her supporters for a town hall-style luncheon at Langer's Deli.
Clinton said he's giving Greuel his vote of confidence because he knows she can get the job done, having worked in his administration in the Department of Housing and Urban Development. He said he'd also like to see a woman lead Los Angeles.
"I think it'd be even better to have the first female mayor," Clinton said. "I have seen her get things done."
Greuel said she's the candidate to create jobs and reduce the city's high unemployment.
"I'm going to bring the qualities and the efforts that this gentleman taught me, and my mentor Tom Bradley, many years ago to lead Los Angeles forward," Greuel said.
Also Saturday, fellow mayoral candidate Eric Garcetti met with environmentalists at an Earth Day celebration along the Los Angeles River in Atwater Village.
"This isn't about out-of-town folks telling us how to vote," Garcetti said about Greuel's event. "I have a lot of respect for the people who have supported Mrs. Gruel, who've supported me, but this is our decision, each voter, looking at our records."
Garcetti said he's focused on continuing to rebuild the city's neighborhoods.
The candidates are scheduled to debate on ABC7 on May 10.
The runoff election takes place on May 21.
election, politics, melissa macbride
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Clouds to sun, cool today 2 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Driver killed in collision with Taxi Cab in Olney 25 min ago
- Water main break cancels Cheyney U. classes
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Tour bus catches fire in Galloway Twp.
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Clouds to sun, cool today
2 min ago