Corbett: Lawyers made poor gay-marriage analogy
PHILADELPHIA - August 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- Republican Gov. Tom Corbett said Thursday it was inappropriate for his lawyers to compare same-sex couples seeking marriage licenses to children.
Corbett's administration has filed a lawsuit seeking to block same-sex marriage licenses in suburban Philadelphia, where Montgomery County Register of Wills D. Bruce Hanes has issued more than 150 to gay and lesbian couples since July 24.
State attorneys said in a court filing Wednesday the gay marriage licenses have no "value or legitimacy" and can't be defended in court. They compared gay and lesbian couples to children, who can't marry because a 1996 law says marriage is between a man and a woman.
Corbett released a statement Thursday calling it a poor analogy.
"The case involving Montgomery County revolves around a very basic question: Does a public official have the authority to disregard state law based on his own personal legal opinion about the constitutionality of a statute?" he said. "The analogy chosen in the legal brief filed on August 28th is inappropriate."
Corbett had come under fire from Democrats and advocacy groups. Equality Pennsylvania issued a statement earlier Thursday taking his lawyers to task over the legal argument.
"If there is one thing we can all agree on, it's that all people deserve to be treated with respect," said the group's executive director, Ted Martin. "The statements made by the attorneys do not simply defend the laws of the state; they deny loving, committed same-sex couples the dignity they deserve."
montgomery county news, pennsylvania news, gay marriage, homosexuality, inside politics
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 6 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air 1 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat 43 min ago
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar 50 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects 21 min ago
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute 47 min ago
- Wynnewood community mourns college student's death 54 min ago
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 29 min ago
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley 16 min ago
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty 49 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
6 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
1 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
21 min ago
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card...
47 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos