NJ Senate candidate files lawsuit against Newark
NEWARK, N.J. - September 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- Republican U.S. Senate candidate Steve Lonegan has filed a lawsuit against the city of Newark.
Lonegan is claiming the city isn't releasing records regarding his Democratic opponent, Newark Mayor Cory Booker.
Lonegan says the city did not comply with an open records request asking for travel expenses, budgets, audits, and other information for Booker and other city hall employees.
The suit was filed Thursday afternoon in state superior court in Newark.
Lonegan says that Booker is not running a transparent government.
Booker spokesman James Allen says Booker has never used a city credit card or received a reimbursement.
Allen says Lonegan's request includes seven categories of information, including thousands of pages of budgets and audits.
new jersey news, u.s. senate, inside politics
- 1 dead, 5 hurt in Trenton drive-by shooting
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Crews battle house fire in Elsmere
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- Photos: Snowy owl spotted in Strathmere
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs