Mayor Cory Booker's father dies at 76
NEWARK, N.J. - October 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- Newark, N.J., Mayor Cory Booker is canceling Senate campaign events in the wake of his father's death.
Booker's Senate campaign says in a statement that Cary Booker died Thursday in Las Vegas. He was 76. He recently had a stroke and suffered from Parkinson's disease.
Booker died less than a week before a U.S. Senate election in which his son is considered the favorite to win.
Cory Booker often speaks about how his father rose up from poverty. His father and mother, Carolyn, were among the first black executives at IBM. Cary Booker, who grew up in North Carolina, also was active in the civil rights movement.
The Booker family moved to New Jersey in 1969.
Cory Booker has cancelled all his Thursday campaign events. The election is next Wednesday.
new jersey news, inside politics
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy 44 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police shoot at suspected carjacker in SW Philly 4 min ago
- Driver crashes into police cruiser in Wilmington 6 min ago
- OSHA investigates lead exposure at Oxford Mills
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No death penalty for man charged in wife death
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy
44 min ago
- Police shoot at suspected carjacker in SW...
4 min ago
More Inside Poltics
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos