Mayor Cory Booker's father dies at 76
NEWARK, N.J. - October 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- Newark, N.J., Mayor Cory Booker is canceling Senate campaign events in the wake of his father's death.
Booker's Senate campaign says in a statement that Cary Booker died Thursday in Las Vegas. He was 76. He recently had a stroke and suffered from Parkinson's disease.
Booker died less than a week before a U.S. Senate election in which his son is considered the favorite to win.
Cory Booker often speaks about how his father rose up from poverty. His father and mother, Carolyn, were among the first black executives at IBM. Cary Booker, who grew up in North Carolina, also was active in the civil rights movement.
The Booker family moved to New Jersey in 1969.
Cory Booker has cancelled all his Thursday campaign events. The election is next Wednesday.
new jersey news, inside politics
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Finally, a nice weekend! 20 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart theft 9 min ago
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton shooting 14 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian killed in Collingdale hit-and-run 25 min ago
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Finally, a nice weekend!
20 min ago
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart...
9 min ago
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton...
14 min ago
More Inside Poltics
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos