Driving safety tips in inclement weather
LOWER MERION, Pa. - February 9, 2010 (WPVI) -- Action News reporter Karen Rogers got behind the wheel for a crash course in driving in wintry weather.Police officer Pete Assenmacher is the senior instructor at Street Smart Driving Academy. He took Karen too a vacant snow covered lot in Lower Merion and asked her to cut the wheel. She saw how easily it was to fishtail the car.
He gave out some quick and easy tips to help her out.
When driving on a snow covered road that has not been plowed yet drive slowly but don't come to a complete stop!
"If you stop you're not going to get moving again. The wheels will start to spin."
Slush is even more dangerous. Again keep your speed down and no sharp turns.
"When you're driving you almost want to treat it like a cup of coffee on your dashboard and don't want to spill it, take it nice and slow, smooth and steady."
And of course, ice can be the most dangerous. There's no traction. When you start to spin don't break or else you'll jam the breaks and lose control of the steering. The advice is to come off the accelerator but don't hit the break until you've slowed down the car significantly.
People use to say steer into the direction of your skid. But Officer Assenmacher warns you may find yourself off the roadway if you do that. Keep your eyes ahead and still turn into the direction you want to travel. And what about the popular 4 wheel drive vehicles? Watch out for a false sense of confidence. They're usually heavier vehicles and it may take you even longer to try and stop on ice!
So remember, don't come to a complete stop when you're on a snow covered road, don't make any sharp turns in slush, and don't break your car when driving on ice.
nor'easter, snow, driving, montgomery county, special reports, karen rogers
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate 15 min ago
- Breezy And Mild!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance...
15 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos