Using theater to help kids with autism
February 10, 2010 (WPVI) -- Four moms share a common bond.
All are parents of children with autism; children whose brains don't process sights and sounds like other kids. They often don't communicate and appear unemotional, detached.
But, all these women have seen improvement in their children since enrolling them in this Autism Outreach Drama Class in King of Prussia. The classes cycle the children through six 15-minute activities, incorporating social activities into playacting.
Leslie Baretta's 6-year-old son Ben enrolled in the class last fall. He has behavior problems and trouble communicating, but the drama classes have provided a real-life practice for him.
Sapna Shekhar has been astonished at the change in her 12-year-old daughter, Sherry, since her first class. She has told her mother that she likes the class, which Sapna says is very unusual because she never used to tell her what she liked before.
Sherry was more isolated before the classes, but is now more engaged in her life.
The program uses dramatic play & improvisation to help these children develop better social skills.
7-year-old Sean Preston loves to pretend he's a pirate in drama class.
But Sean had trouble expressing himself at home and lashed out and that is happening less frequently now.
Pamela Bethea's 14-year-old son Adam now walks and talks with confidence since his first drama class, according to his mother.
The classes are held at Hope Community Church in King of Prussia for only $5 per session.
Theatre Horizon - (610) 283.2230
Location: Hope Community Church, 150 East Beidler Rd, King of Prussia PA 19406 $5 a class
special report, autism, special reports
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd 17 min ago
- Easter Sunshine Sunday 21 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing
- Woman's body found in Berks County
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- It's a boy - again for Jamie Apody! 9 min ago
- NJ woman: Dog and TV stolen on 1st date
- Prescription drug ring busted at Aria-Torresdale Hospital
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
3 min ago