Using theater to help kids with autism
February 10, 2010 (WPVI) -- Four moms share a common bond.
All are parents of children with autism; children whose brains don't process sights and sounds like other kids. They often don't communicate and appear unemotional, detached.
But, all these women have seen improvement in their children since enrolling them in this Autism Outreach Drama Class in King of Prussia. The classes cycle the children through six 15-minute activities, incorporating social activities into playacting.
Leslie Baretta's 6-year-old son Ben enrolled in the class last fall. He has behavior problems and trouble communicating, but the drama classes have provided a real-life practice for him.
Sapna Shekhar has been astonished at the change in her 12-year-old daughter, Sherry, since her first class. She has told her mother that she likes the class, which Sapna says is very unusual because she never used to tell her what she liked before.
Sherry was more isolated before the classes, but is now more engaged in her life.
The program uses dramatic play & improvisation to help these children develop better social skills.
7-year-old Sean Preston loves to pretend he's a pirate in drama class.
But Sean had trouble expressing himself at home and lashed out and that is happening less frequently now.
Pamela Bethea's 14-year-old son Adam now walks and talks with confidence since his first drama class, according to his mother.
The classes are held at Hope Community Church in King of Prussia for only $5 per session.
Theatre Horizon - (610) 283.2230
Location: Hope Community Church, 150 East Beidler Rd, King of Prussia PA 19406 $5 a class
special report, autism, special reports
- Runway littered with holiday mail 12 min ago
- Warmer Weekend 42 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings 16 min ago
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school 4 min ago
- SEPTA spreads holiday cheer with toy drive 23 min ago
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Fmr. Montco GOP chairman to stand trial for rape 6 min ago
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash
- Bishop McDevitt HS student robbed at gunpoint
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ 35 min ago
- Gov. Christie signs immigrant tuition bill
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Warmer Weekend
42 min ago