SPECIAL REPORT: Acupuncture for wrinkles?
Tuesday, February 23, 2010
Acupuncture is used to help relieve pain and stress. But now more people are also using it to get rid of wrinkles. It's called facial acupuncture. Some say it's an alternative to more drastic cosmetic treatments, such as Botox."I want to look the best that I can," said Julia Engstrom. At 53 years old Julia Engstrom wants her face to look younger. She's tried Botox and laser treatments in the past, but recently turned to acupuncture facial rejuvenation. Acupuncturist Beata Maslanka of the "Art of Wellness" said the treatment stimulates energy which increases circulation. Maslanka said that brings blood and nutrients to the face, causing rejuvenation. "People are noticing smoothing the fine lines and ah lessening of the deep lines and discoloration also tends to disappear," said Maslanka. She recommends people get 10 treatments. Julia is on her 9th. And likes what she saw. "I've noticed that my skin a lot smoother, it's a lot less red pigment in there and the wrinkling seems to be a lot less," said Julia. "I have a lot less darkening under my eyes and I've been getting a lot of compliments," she added. But plastic surgeon Dr. Bruce Genter says it doesn't seem plausible. Dr. Genter said there's no real scientific evidence to prove acupuncture can smooth wrinkles. "If it increases your well-being that's great, I just don't know that it can make your face look younger," said Dr. Genter. Maslanka admitted facial acupuncture won't have the same dramatic effect as Botox or facial fillers, but she says beauty comes from within. Maslanka said acupuncture helps to heal other imbalances in the body and it can make people feel and look better all around. That's something Julia also noticed and is why she says she'll continue with the treatment. "I feel like this is ah something that has really a twofold effect it makes me relaxed, it helps me to sleep better as well as helping to improve my skin tone," Julia added. After the 10 treatments, it's recommended people follow up with maintenance treatments once a month. The sessions cost 90 to 135 dollars at the "Art of Wellness." Botox or facial fillers typically cost about $300 to $400 dollars and last about 3 to 6 months.
(Copyright ©2013 WPVI-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings 16 min ago
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's 22 min ago
- Person possibly struck by train in Center City 5 min ago
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding 51 min ago
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in Talleyville
- Car, SUV collide outside Trenton firehouse
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Accused Craigslist robber charged with murdering accomplice 38 min ago
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Security breach affected all cards, not...
22 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos