A gym just for animals!
March 10, 2011 (WPVI) -- The Whole Animal Gym offers rehabilitation and a place to work out.
The Whole Animal Gym, also known as WAG, is located in the Queen Village section of Philadelphia. It's the first gym in the city designed specifically for animals! Husband and wife, Chad Carnahan and Dr. Christina Fuoco opened the facility this past September.
"We have been growing faster than we had planned for," said Chad.
Peter Lien said since coming to WAG he's seen great strides in his 14-year-old dog, Spike.
Age was weakening Spike's (a dog) hips and legs and Peter said he was falling down the stairs. But his stints on the underwater treadmill have stopped that. Each minute underwater is equal to about 3 minutes outside. Peter said Spike's strength has really increased.
The therapy doesn't stop there; laser treatments and acupuncture are also available at WAG.
"Boas here had surgery for a back problem that happened last winter and so he has acupuncture to help with some of the neurologic problems as well as pain management," said Dr. Fuoco.
"I definitely noticed that it adds to his comfort and mobility," said Boas' owner Karin Ross.
And it's not just for dogs.
Zoey, the cat, had a spinal cord injury on New Year's Day. She's been going to WAG for acupuncture treatments. It's only been about two weeks but her owner said there's already a noticeable difference.
And your pet doesn't have to have a medical problem to use WAG's facility. It's also a gym for working out.
"A lot of clients who come are dogs who can't go to dog parks because they get too aggressive or they're too small," said Chad.
For these pets WAG has meant a better life.
"He's a very happy guy," said Karin.
The cost for the rehab side of WAG is $160.00 for the first visit which includes a full physical and training program for your pet. The pricing varies from there depending on your pet's needs. The cost for the gym starts at $14.00 for 1 dog for a half-hour, and goes up to $25.00 for 3 dogs for a half-hour. WAG does not handle pet insurance directly but is willing to complete all the necessary forms for you to turn in yourself.
special report, animals, special reports
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 22 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 20 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 43 min ago
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 4 min ago
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church 10 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 28 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 19 min ago
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course 28 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
20 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
4 min ago