A gym just for animals!
March 10, 2011 (WPVI) -- The Whole Animal Gym offers rehabilitation and a place to work out.
The Whole Animal Gym, also known as WAG, is located in the Queen Village section of Philadelphia. It's the first gym in the city designed specifically for animals! Husband and wife, Chad Carnahan and Dr. Christina Fuoco opened the facility this past September.
"We have been growing faster than we had planned for," said Chad.
Peter Lien said since coming to WAG he's seen great strides in his 14-year-old dog, Spike.
Age was weakening Spike's (a dog) hips and legs and Peter said he was falling down the stairs. But his stints on the underwater treadmill have stopped that. Each minute underwater is equal to about 3 minutes outside. Peter said Spike's strength has really increased.
The therapy doesn't stop there; laser treatments and acupuncture are also available at WAG.
"Boas here had surgery for a back problem that happened last winter and so he has acupuncture to help with some of the neurologic problems as well as pain management," said Dr. Fuoco.
"I definitely noticed that it adds to his comfort and mobility," said Boas' owner Karin Ross.
And it's not just for dogs.
Zoey, the cat, had a spinal cord injury on New Year's Day. She's been going to WAG for acupuncture treatments. It's only been about two weeks but her owner said there's already a noticeable difference.
And your pet doesn't have to have a medical problem to use WAG's facility. It's also a gym for working out.
"A lot of clients who come are dogs who can't go to dog parks because they get too aggressive or they're too small," said Chad.
For these pets WAG has meant a better life.
"He's a very happy guy," said Karin.
The cost for the rehab side of WAG is $160.00 for the first visit which includes a full physical and training program for your pet. The pricing varies from there depending on your pet's needs. The cost for the gym starts at $14.00 for 1 dog for a half-hour, and goes up to $25.00 for 3 dogs for a half-hour. WAG does not handle pet insurance directly but is willing to complete all the necessary forms for you to turn in yourself.
special report, animals, special reports
- Arctic Blast and Possible Weekend Storm 36 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice 55 min ago
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds 47 min ago
- Police search for burglar targeting Philly restaurants 45 min ago
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- No bail for 2 charged in Philly collapse
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- $344M Mega Millions numbers drawn
- 6 missing adults, children found alive in Nevada 44 min ago
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)
- Arctic Blast and Possible Weekend Storm
36 min ago