Eagles wife is ready for a fight
March 1, 2011 (WPVI) -- When you think of a NFL football player you think tough. So this may come as a surprise. One of the Eagles may not even be the toughest person in his own home.Week in and week out, Brent Celek takes a beating on the field playing for the Eagles. But the tight end has never taken a hit from a boxing glove, but his wife, Susie, has.
Susie is not your typical NFL wife. In fact, she is training to be a boxer.
"I was kind of nervous at first," said Brent Celek.
"He was like are you serious, you can get hurt so easily," Susie replied.
But make no mistake about it. Susie is not just a pretty girl on an athletes arm. She is a fighter. She is also ultra-competitive like her husband. Even when the two are at home playing shuffle board.
"This is ridiculous," said Brent as Susie scored a point in the game.
Susie was an All-American swimmer and rower in college at the the University of Cincinnati where the pair met. But she said that boxing is not only the hardest sport she's ever done, its also given her purpose.
"I wasn't always the confident kid and I got picked on and I got made fun of a lot, so I had a really low self-esteem and boxing is that thing that has given me confidence," Susie added.
So much so, come this Saturday, after three years of training, Susie will step into the ring for her very first fight. She will take on Wendy Burke at Fight Night taking place at The Sporting Club at the Bellevue in Center City.
"I couldn't imagine anything more terrifying than walking into a ring where you know you're going to get into a fight," she added.
But Susie said what is comforting is that her husband will be in her corner - literally. Brent will be ringside to watch her box in the non-sanctioned match.
"I know I'm going to be nervous for her just because when you get in that ring it is not like being on the football field," added Brent.
While Susie did not make any bold knockout predictions for Saturday's fight, she will guarantee this: she says she can take down her 6 '4, 255 pound husband!
"In two or three rounds," said Susie.
When asked if that were true, Brent replied, "Come on Jeff, she has gotten good, but not that good."
We will see this Saturday.
Here is more information on where to buy tickets to the fight: The Sporting Club at the Bellevue
special report, philadelphia eagles, lincoln financial field, boxing, nfl, special reports
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target 55 min ago
- Winter Warm Up 44 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus 54 min ago
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments 51 min ago
- Upper Darby's Chitwood reflects on career 44 min ago
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target
55 min ago
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
54 min ago
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay...
51 min ago
- Upper Darby's Chitwood reflects on career
44 min ago