Pay 6 Forward: Plymouth Meeting
PLYMOUTH MEETING, Pa. - January 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- We had a lot of interest, but stumped people when they heard the rules that you have to give the money away but not to a relative or someone who lives with you.
Then we met June Pinkney, who was determined, to help someone.
It took a bit of time for her to come up with a name of someone who wasn't a family member, but she did. Plus, it was someone she doesn't personally know!
"Her name is Faith and I know that her husband passed away a couple of months ago," Pinkney said, "it was a sudden death and she's struggling financially."
Faith Smith's husband, Clifford, died of a heart attack just days before her birthday this past September. They were married 36 years and never spent a day apart, including working together at Norristown State Hospital until they retired and later part time cleaning apartments.
June works with Faith's niece who joined us at her home in Norristown for the big surprise.
"I really was determined to be a blessing to someone and I'm just excited to be able to help you at this time," Pinkney told Smith, who couldn't believe it, even as June counted out the money.
"I don't know what to say to her but you are God sent," Smith said, "I don't know what to say but I love you and I don't even know you."
When talking about her husband, Faith kept referencing his favorite chair, which now sits empty.
"I'd sit here and he'd sit there..."
Faith plans to use the money to buy health insurance and to fix her roof. She says June's thoughtfulness is a sign of hope for 2012.
6at4, pay 6 forward, pennsylvania, montgomery county, special reports, karen rogers
- Man robbed at gunpoint in North Philadelphia 41 min ago
- Brisk And Cold
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home 39 min ago
- Derailed train car blocking road in South Coatesville
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- Arrest in deadly June shooting in West Philadelphia
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila. 56 min ago
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large
- On video: Burglars steal drugs in Hunting Park
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier