Pay 6 forward:Renae in Burlington Co., New Jersey
February 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- I visited Burlington County NJ and held up my sign "I'm giving away 600 dollars ask me how". At first, people seemed to walk right by
Sharon Stone wanted to talk with me, but she didn't want the money.
"I think what you're doing is wonderful because it inspires other people to pay it forward," Sharon Storm of Palmyra, Pa. told us. "I've seen the results of that from people in our community so I wanted to say 'Thank You.'"
As always, there are rules:
*You can't keep it yourself
*You can't be a relative or someone you live with
*The money needs to be a friend or a neighbor or someone from a church group who is going through a particularly hard time.
*They have to be available RIGHT THEN for the surprise!
After those thoughtful words, we were determined to help just the right person. Then Lisa Rau nominated her neighbor.
"Her husband's working and trying to take care of the kids while she's in and out of the hospital and it's been a tough time for them."
Renae Flyod's husband is trying to make ends meet working at Home Depot. The neighbors have pitched in to help with the kids.
"But you don't have the means to help with money. Wish we could take up a collection or something, or maybe Channel 6 could give them $600 in cash.That would be the best thing in the world, that would be awesome."
So we took off to Renae's apartment. It was heart breaking to watch her young son wheel her out.
"You're going to get $600 from Action News thanks to your friend Lisa."
Renae told us her problems started, when she got the flu. One infection lead to another and she's since had 6 surgeries, 7 blood transfusions and had part of her foot amputated.
"I have a wound-care nurse that comes out 3 times a week and I have to give myself IVs and I have a physical therapist coming out so it's just a mess."
We "Paid 6 Forward" to Lisa and she finally got the chance to help her neighbor. Renae was simply overcome by emotion.
Renae says she'll use the money for groceries and to try to pay down some of the bills. She just kept saying she was blessed.
6at4, pay 6 forward, charity, burlington county, special reports, karen rogers
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard 8 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill 19 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County 28 min ago
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco 21 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 23 min ago
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
19 min ago
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239...
8 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun...
23 min ago
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
28 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos