Pay 6 forward:Renae in Burlington Co., New Jersey
February 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- I visited Burlington County NJ and held up my sign "I'm giving away 600 dollars ask me how". At first, people seemed to walk right by
Sharon Stone wanted to talk with me, but she didn't want the money.
"I think what you're doing is wonderful because it inspires other people to pay it forward," Sharon Storm of Palmyra, Pa. told us. "I've seen the results of that from people in our community so I wanted to say 'Thank You.'"
As always, there are rules:
*You can't keep it yourself
*You can't be a relative or someone you live with
*The money needs to be a friend or a neighbor or someone from a church group who is going through a particularly hard time.
*They have to be available RIGHT THEN for the surprise!
After those thoughtful words, we were determined to help just the right person. Then Lisa Rau nominated her neighbor.
"Her husband's working and trying to take care of the kids while she's in and out of the hospital and it's been a tough time for them."
Renae Flyod's husband is trying to make ends meet working at Home Depot. The neighbors have pitched in to help with the kids.
"But you don't have the means to help with money. Wish we could take up a collection or something, or maybe Channel 6 could give them $600 in cash.That would be the best thing in the world, that would be awesome."
So we took off to Renae's apartment. It was heart breaking to watch her young son wheel her out.
"You're going to get $600 from Action News thanks to your friend Lisa."
Renae told us her problems started, when she got the flu. One infection lead to another and she's since had 6 surgeries, 7 blood transfusions and had part of her foot amputated.
"I have a wound-care nurse that comes out 3 times a week and I have to give myself IVs and I have a physical therapist coming out so it's just a mess."
We "Paid 6 Forward" to Lisa and she finally got the chance to help her neighbor. Renae was simply overcome by emotion.
Renae says she'll use the money for groceries and to try to pay down some of the bills. She just kept saying she was blessed.
6at4, pay 6 forward, charity, burlington county, special reports, karen rogers
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say 7 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today 3 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting 18 min ago
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges 17 min ago
- 4 alarm fire burns at motel in Berks County 32 min ago
- 3rd lottery jackpot hits at Atlantic Co. truck stop
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt 13 min ago
- Photo released of anti-Semetic vandalism suspect
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 5 min ago
- Video: Video gamer is the victim of SWATting hoax
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
7 min ago
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting
18 min ago
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn...
17 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos