Pay 6 Forward: Eddie in Roxborough
ROXBOROUGH - February 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- I headed off to Roxborough to hold up my sign, "I'm giving away $600. Ask me how."
We met some people right away, but when they hear it can't be a relative or someone who lives with you, it gets a little harder.
So, as a refresher, here are the complete rules for Pay 6 Forward:
*You can't keep it yourself
*You can't be a relative or someone you live with
*The money needs to be a friend or a neighbor or someone from a church group who is going through a particularly hard time.
*They have to be available RIGHT THEN for the surprise!
Then we met Rose Nagel who watches Pay 6 Forward quite often.
"I think it's great and I know the perfect person," Rose said.
She told me about her neighbor Eddie, who is a tree service climber. He's out of work and is supporting his wife and 3 girls.
"So what would you think if Channel 6 gave them the money?" I asked.
"I think it would be great. It would make their day and make their week," Rose said. "That's a lot of money."
We went to their home, but no one answered. So Rose's husband just yelled from the street.
It took a while, but we finally caught up with Eddie and Kim Klepack.
"I was telling them how you're out of work with the tree business and it's slow," Rose told them. "I have a surprise for you. Channel 6 is giving you $600 in cash today."
"I'm shaking right now. I don't even know," said Kim Klepack when we asked what she might do with the money.
I gave the money to Rose and she Paid 6 Forward. "I hope it helps," Rose told her friends.
"It definitely, definitely will," they answered. "I'm so excited right now. I don't even know what to say."
How will they use the money? Each night Eddie drags a mattress up the stairs. When times were better he started remodeling his daughters' bedroom. Then he didn't have the money to finish the job. So the entire family sleeps in this bedroom.
"Work slows down, and now we're all sleeping in one bedroom; the five of uson two twin mattresses," Eddie told us. "Hopefully with this money we're going to Home Depot today."
Eddie said this is the first good night's sleep he's going to have in a while. You can visit my Facebook page to tell me what you think of Pay 6 Forward.
6at4, pay 6 forward, charity, roxborough, special reports, karen rogers
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff 40 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 33 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco 52 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown 51 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Fire engulfs new high-rise apartment in Calif. 16 min ago
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow 32 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan...
40 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
52 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
33 min ago