Pay 6 Forward: LaToya Pratt
PAULSBORO, N.J. - May 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- We went to South Jersey and stood out with our sign, "I'm giving away $600 ask me how."
We met dozens of great people as we traveled to shopping centers all along Route 130.
One woman had just the right person in mind, but she called and no one was home!
So, when things like that happen, it's always a good time to go back over the rules, which are the same for all of our Pay 6 Forward stories:
*You can't keep it yourself
*You can't be a relative or someone you live with
*The money needs to be a friend or a neighbor or someone from a church group who is going through a particularly hard time.
*They have to be available RIGHT THEN for the surprise!
We moved on to Delran and that's where we met Kevin Peterson.
"She's behind like 2 months on her rent," he told us about his friend. "So I know she can use the money to go toward her rent."
We showed up at the Wendy's in Lawnside, New Jersey where Latoya works. Needless to say, she was a bit surprised to see Action News!
When we told her about the 600 dollar surprise?
"I don't know what to say," was her response.
This has been a difficult time for Latoya and she's trying to hold it together for her 3-year-old daughter.
This single mom needed the $600 surprise. She's been worried about losing her apartment. Making the rent has been a challenge since she lost her job two years ago
"It was hard for me to get back on my feet," she told us. "So once I started here I started off as a crew member and worked my way up to a manger. It's still not enough. I come here every day and do what I can."
So, I paid $600 forward to Kevin, and he paid it forward to LaToya who was still in shock.
"Oh my gosh. It's a blessing," she said.
We have a new part of our Pay 6 Forward series underway. Just follow this link and tell us how you plan to pay it forward. Action News just might show up to help with your surprise.
6at4, pay 6 forward, charity, montgomery county, special reports, karen rogers
- Police probe pizza deliveryman shooting in SW Phila.
- Sunny, blustery winds today 46 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co. 34 min ago
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co. 6 min ago
- Police search for gunman in Germantown bar shooting 2 min ago
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- WCU investigates indecent assault, carjacking attempt
- MLK football documentary premieres in NYC
- Philadelphia Eagles 2014 game schedule
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- Sunny, blustery winds today
46 min ago
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co.
34 min ago
- Police search for gunman in Germantown bar...
2 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos