Pay 6 Forward: LaToya Pratt
PAULSBORO, N.J. - May 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- We went to South Jersey and stood out with our sign, "I'm giving away $600 ask me how."
We met dozens of great people as we traveled to shopping centers all along Route 130.
One woman had just the right person in mind, but she called and no one was home!
So, when things like that happen, it's always a good time to go back over the rules, which are the same for all of our Pay 6 Forward stories:
*You can't keep it yourself
*You can't be a relative or someone you live with
*The money needs to be a friend or a neighbor or someone from a church group who is going through a particularly hard time.
*They have to be available RIGHT THEN for the surprise!
We moved on to Delran and that's where we met Kevin Peterson.
"She's behind like 2 months on her rent," he told us about his friend. "So I know she can use the money to go toward her rent."
We showed up at the Wendy's in Lawnside, New Jersey where Latoya works. Needless to say, she was a bit surprised to see Action News!
When we told her about the 600 dollar surprise?
"I don't know what to say," was her response.
This has been a difficult time for Latoya and she's trying to hold it together for her 3-year-old daughter.
This single mom needed the $600 surprise. She's been worried about losing her apartment. Making the rent has been a challenge since she lost her job two years ago
"It was hard for me to get back on my feet," she told us. "So once I started here I started off as a crew member and worked my way up to a manger. It's still not enough. I come here every day and do what I can."
So, I paid $600 forward to Kevin, and he paid it forward to LaToya who was still in shock.
"Oh my gosh. It's a blessing," she said.
We have a new part of our Pay 6 Forward series underway. Just follow this link and tell us how you plan to pay it forward. Action News just might show up to help with your surprise.
6at4, pay 6 forward, charity, montgomery county, special reports, karen rogers
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike 18 min ago
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd 9 min ago
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar
- Florida Rep. Radel returns from rehab
51 min ago