Pay 6 Forward: Reita Collins from West Oak Lane
CHELTENHAM - June 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- I went to Cheltenham and stood out with her sign, "I'm giving away $600. Ask me how."
The sign drew a lot of attention, and I explained the rules that apply for all of our Pay 6 Forward stories :
*You can't keep it yourself
*You can't be a relative or someone you live with
*The money needs to be a friend or a neighbor or someone from a church group who is going through a particularly hard time.
*They have to be available RIGHT THEN for the surprise!
We just showed up, met a lot of people, but no one can think of anyone on the spot just yet, we'll keep trying.
After meeting a handful of people, we came across John Johnson who wanted to give the money to a retired neighbor across the street.
"If you need someone to go to the store, or babysit or dog sit, she's the kind of person who does whatever you need," Johnson of West Oak Lane told us.
John wishes all of his neighbors were as giving.
"We're all in this together. If we don't relate to that, we cannot have one person starving and another person a billionaire. There's something wrong with that."
Right there and then we took off to surprise Reita Collins.
"Good morning, Reita! We got a little surprise for you."
"You're the best neighbor I know," Johnson told Reita. "It's not the million dollar offer, but it's something you could use."
"Oh God, I can't believe this," Reita replied.
Reita was stunned by our camera crew at her door step.
"I'm watching Channel 6 right now," she said, "but I didn't see you coming here."
We "paid 6 forward" to John and he "paid 6 forward" to Reita.
"Well I certainly appreciate this and, I can't believe this," Reita said.
I'm so glad we were able to help her.
We also have a new part of our Pay 6 Forward series underway. Just follow this link and tell us how you plan to pay it forward. Action News just might show up to help with your surprise.
6at4, pay 6 forward, charity, new jersey, special reports, karen rogers
- Search for missing 11-year-old boy 26 min ago
- Temps soar above normal
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school 14 min ago
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Police: Threat to father used in phone scam
- Report: NSA tracks billions of cellphones daily
- Pedestrian struck and killed in Mercer County
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape
- Man struck by SEPTA bus in Wynnefield Heights
- Prosecutor: Sex investigation of FSU QB over
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- Researchers: 'Fit and Fat' a myth
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
14 min ago