Sixers salute runners group
March 5, 2008 (WPVI) -- Nine months ago we watched as the Back On My Feet organization took off.
Today, it's thriving. Members of Philadelphia's first Homeless Running Club were the honored guests at Sixers practice.
"It's like a dream come true. I'm 36 years old, but I feel like a little kid," said Al Price.
The team had a special surprise for the group's founder, Anne Mahlum.
"We want to tell you you're our hometown hero for the extraordinary things you're doing, and we think its just great. Not a lot of people do it, but we think what you're doing for these people is very, very special," said Sixers coach Mo Cheeks.
An emotional moment, but well deserved.
"Sometimes it looked like it was going to crash, but thanks to her perseverance she bettered a lot of our lives," said Price.
Here's how you can help these folks get back on their Feet. Bring a new pair of sneakers to Friday's Sixers game, and the team will give you two free tickets to an upcoming game. It's a small gesture that will get a lot of mileage in helping the homeless, one stride at a time.
"The people in here are so amazing. I've never met so many people who want life so bad and are willing to work for it. That takes a whole lot of character and I think people are drawn to that," said Mahlum.
To learn more about Back On My Feet, visit the group's website at www.backonmyfeet.org.
sports, jamie apody
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Clouds to sun, cool today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- 12 dead in Mt. Everest avalanche
- Hate messages sprayed on W. Amwell business
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sinking ferry
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Photos: Suspects in Ocean Co. child porn sweep
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Video: Hero twins yell, hit carjacker to escape 37 min ago
- Dead body found during Easter egg hunt
55 min ago