Pig brings luck to Wildcats
VILLANOVA, Pa. - March 31, 2009 - (WPVI) -- Villanova coach Jay Wright carries something with him that may have helped the Wildcats reach the Final Four.
For the past month Wright has kept an tiny toy pig tucked in his pocket for good luck.
"Those pigs are important to our team's success!" Wright said.
Wright's 10-year-old daughter Riley believe the little toy pig she brought to Villanova games was good luck.
"It was a big game, and I said 'You have your lucky pig?' and she said 'Yeah, I have three for this game," Wright said. "After the game I said 'Those pigs are working, Riley. Don't come to a game without those pigs!'"
Villanova players didn't seem to know about the pigs in their midst.
"Uh, I wasn't aware of that," said forward Dante Cunningham.
"He didn't mention it to us, and it's probably a good thing he didn't mention it to us," said guard Dwayne Anderson. "We probably would have made fun of him a little bit."
They can joke if they want, but Villanova has won 9 of 11 games since this all started.
Hey, the Phillies had rubber ducks, and they won the World Series.
"I'm not a supersitious person. It's more about having fun with my daughter," Wright said.
Wright adds, after Villanova won in Boston, the first thing he said to his daughter was "The pig worked!"
sports, jeff skversky
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot by off-duty cop during fight ID'd
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar 44 min ago
- Man arrested after Phila. police crash, chase ID'd 11 min ago
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery 14 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from the 2014 Red Ball