Pig brings luck to Wildcats
VILLANOVA, Pa. - March 31, 2009 - (WPVI) -- Villanova coach Jay Wright carries something with him that may have helped the Wildcats reach the Final Four.
For the past month Wright has kept an tiny toy pig tucked in his pocket for good luck.
"Those pigs are important to our team's success!" Wright said.
Wright's 10-year-old daughter Riley believe the little toy pig she brought to Villanova games was good luck.
"It was a big game, and I said 'You have your lucky pig?' and she said 'Yeah, I have three for this game," Wright said. "After the game I said 'Those pigs are working, Riley. Don't come to a game without those pigs!'"
Villanova players didn't seem to know about the pigs in their midst.
"Uh, I wasn't aware of that," said forward Dante Cunningham.
"He didn't mention it to us, and it's probably a good thing he didn't mention it to us," said guard Dwayne Anderson. "We probably would have made fun of him a little bit."
They can joke if they want, but Villanova has won 9 of 11 games since this all started.
Hey, the Phillies had rubber ducks, and they won the World Series.
"I'm not a supersitious person. It's more about having fun with my daughter," Wright said.
Wright adds, after Villanova won in Boston, the first thing he said to his daughter was "The pig worked!"
sports, jeff skversky
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City 49 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- 76ers owner Harris calls 19-win season 'success'
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Bride gets help after banquet closes
- Worth the wait: Easter treats in Philadelphia
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
49 min ago