Pig brings luck to Wildcats
VILLANOVA, Pa. - March 31, 2009 - (WPVI) -- Villanova coach Jay Wright carries something with him that may have helped the Wildcats reach the Final Four.
For the past month Wright has kept an tiny toy pig tucked in his pocket for good luck.
"Those pigs are important to our team's success!" Wright said.
Wright's 10-year-old daughter Riley believe the little toy pig she brought to Villanova games was good luck.
"It was a big game, and I said 'You have your lucky pig?' and she said 'Yeah, I have three for this game," Wright said. "After the game I said 'Those pigs are working, Riley. Don't come to a game without those pigs!'"
Villanova players didn't seem to know about the pigs in their midst.
"Uh, I wasn't aware of that," said forward Dante Cunningham.
"He didn't mention it to us, and it's probably a good thing he didn't mention it to us," said guard Dwayne Anderson. "We probably would have made fun of him a little bit."
They can joke if they want, but Villanova has won 9 of 11 games since this all started.
Hey, the Phillies had rubber ducks, and they won the World Series.
"I'm not a supersitious person. It's more about having fun with my daughter," Wright said.
Wright adds, after Villanova won in Boston, the first thing he said to his daughter was "The pig worked!"
sports, jeff skversky
- Boy killed in Chester accident ID'd
- Unsettled to spectacular
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Woman pulled from Phila. collapse loses both legs
- Committee sets hearings on demolitions in Phila.
- Video: Dash cam view of Lindenwold school bus crash
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Monday's storms
- Multi-alarm fire at titanium plant in Berks
- Girl, 4, dies after crash that killed father
- Burlington taxi driver death ruled homicide, victim ID'd
- Photos: 7 arrests in Phila. prostitution cases
- Automatic renewal contracts
- Tracy ties it in 9th, but Phils win in bottom half