Big Ten evaluating expansion
CHICAGO - December 15, 2009 -- The Big Ten might be getting bigger soon. Big Ten spokesman Scott Chipman said Monday that a 3 p.m.
Commissioner Jim Delany said Tuesday the conference is going to explore options over the next 12 to 18 months for expanding the league.
The league's presidents and chancellors decided earlier this month that the timing is right to study adding a 12th school.
The Big Ten said in a statement it also looked at expansion in 1993, 1998 and 2003. Penn State joined in 1990, and Notre Dame rejected an offer in 1999.
penn state, big ten, sports
- Video: Chris Sowers with storm update
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Up to 50 vehicles in deadly PA Turnpike crash 47 min ago
- Video: Widener U. students help stuck drivers 49 min ago
- Eagles beat Lions 34-20 in the snow 21 min ago
- Photos: Images of Sunday's winter storm
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps 52 min ago
- 6abc.com Flight Tracker
- Check local traffic on 6abc.com!
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Police: Son of PHA employee charged with DUI
- Body found in Logan tire fire
- Widener U. students help stuck drivers
49 min ago
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
1 min ago